Area: 33 000 m2
Architect: Narmer Építészeti Stúdió
The National Museum Restoration and Storage Centre (OMRRK) stores almost 350,000 works of art on behalf of the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Hungarian National Gallery to a high professional and technical standard. The block of buildings presents a long-term solution to decades of cataloging and warehousing problems associated with the national public collection.
The construction of the institution is much more significant the the resolution of many decades of issues for three major national public collections: The development is also ahead of its time in that very few European museums are able to benefit from a similarly sophisticated service infrastructure. The Hungarian development is a worthy peer of London's British Museum, the newly built facility at the Hermitage in St Petersburg and the specialist institutions of Paris Louvre currently under construction in terms of its capabilities, equipment and capacity alike.
The Israelite Hospital that once stood here was built based on the designs of Vilmos Freund in 1889. Between the wars, it was one of Budapest's most respected clinics and employed a number of medical researchers of national and international repute. Following World War II, the facility became an training institute for doctors before later receiving university status and being merged into the Semmelweis University in 2000, before closing in 2007.